Learn about traditional and sustainable early thatching methods, including those to be used on the live reconstruction of the Anglo-Saxon, House of Wessex.
10th-14th August 2019 (five one-day courses)
Led by Alan Jones, Conservation Carpenter and Master Thatcher, a leading thatcher in experimental archaeology and historical reconstructions since the early eighties. Each of the five one-day courses is centred on the thatching on the newly reconstructed timber House of Wessex at Sylva Foundation, south of Oxford.
You will learn how to use the materials and techniques to be used on the roof including laying turf over wattle hurdles, processing straw into yelms and bundles spar coating the thatch, dressing with a Leggett and gaining the required depth of fixings and overall depth of coat work.
The course will also include slide show and talk about evolution of our relationship with cereals as a food and shelter crop. There will be the opportunity to mill grain into flour and taste bread made from the wheat straw from the roof.
- Lecture of history and development of thatching in the UK.
- Handling and processing the straw.
- Applying turf to the hurdles.
- Learning techniques for applying thatch to the roof at required thickness.
- Spar coating the straw securely into position.
- Dressing of the thatch to gain the desired shape.
- Small groups to allow for an intimate learning experience
- Delegates can complete one or more days at £75 per day (discount for all five days, see below)
- Delegates that complete 5 days may be invited to volunteer and complete the thatch on the House of Wessex reconstruction
Delegates are required to:
- Have a good level of fitness
- Be able to work at heights
- Provide their own clothing suitable for work outdoors in all weathers
- Provide their own safety boots
- Provide your own food and drink
We are offering five one-day courses, run back-to-back.
Cost £75 per day. Click to book:
We are pleased to offer a special discount if you want to attend all five days.
Five days for the price of four, at only £300. Offer only available by phoning us.
Please contact us on 01865 408018 to book for all 5 days, and have your payment card ready.
Little Wittenham Rd
Long Wittenham, OXF OX14 4QT