Make a canoe paddle
26th and 27th January 2018
9.00am to 5.00pm
During this two-day course with award-winning boat builder Colin Henwood, you will learn how to shape a single canoe paddle from Ash using hand tools.
- Working with ash – our superior native hardwood.
- Using traditional skills and tools you will produce a complex shape with hand and eye.
- Learn how to finish your smooth and elegant design.
- Take home a unique and useable canoe paddle ready for a varnish or an oil finish.
- Tools and materials included (if you wish to bring your own tools please discuss this with the tutor).
Cost: £200 per person (materials included)
Venue: Sylva Wood Centre, Oxfordshire, OX14 4QT
Tutor: Colin Henwood
About the tutor
Colin Henwood founded his boatyard, Henwood and Dean Boatbuilders, in 1982 specialising in restoring and building wooden Thames launches. The boatyard received many awards in the UK and abroad, and in 2014 Colin was awarded Maker of the Year by the Heritage Crafts Association. In October 2016 Colin handed the boatyard over to two of his team who are successfully continuing the tradition he began 35 years ago. Not one to retire, Colin has established a workshop at the Sylva Wood Centre where he is currently re-building a 1920 Thames motor canoe.